Endorsements

"It was the most offended I've ever been by a Killer Whale story." Mrs. Trellis of North Wales

"I liked the video bit, that was quite good." J. Stephenson of Tucson, Arizona.

"Nope, never heard of it." Business Secretary, Vince Cable MP


Thursday 23 September 2010

A Keg of Ideas...

Twitter is marvellous really. It can draw your attention to all sorts of remarkable things you'd never otherwise hear about. Today's remarkable thing is IdeasTap, a sort of social network for pretentious creative types like myself. It boasts a whole host of writing briefs, opportunities and even funding! Yes, funding! (it's like the grail for us - meaning that when people go "why are you wasting your life?", you can go ((in a Humphrey Ker character voice)) "um, well I just got some funding, actually, so it's not even your business or anything anyway, so shut up, you're not my mum." Or something along those lines).

The problem lies in the fact that as a young pretentious creative, one has a tendency to imagine that one is the only exciting playwright/comedy prodigy in a sea of awful 'edgy' allegorical theatre/Jack Whitehall. This myth is rather extensively debunked by checking the profiles of other people following opportunities, almost all of whom are the same age (or younger!) and have had a good deal more success. Naturally, I lay the blame for this directly at the feet of Thatcher and her "oh, why don't we just nationalise the schools, surely that won't create even more of a educational lottery" rationale. Anyway, this is making me sound far needier than I intended...

I'm not sure what the point of today's blog is, particularly, except to perhaps reiterate the difficulty of the industry for which my skills set bests suits. Bloody typical, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment