Endorsements

"It was the most offended I've ever been by a Killer Whale story." Mrs. Trellis of North Wales

"I liked the video bit, that was quite good." J. Stephenson of Tucson, Arizona.

"Nope, never heard of it." Business Secretary, Vince Cable MP


Wednesday 16 June 2010

Sound Bites...

Yep, that title has a double meaning. Essentially I've spent most of the day watching television. One particular piece of the endlessness that piqued my interest was Prime Minister's Questions. Now, the format pretty much does what it says on the tin. With one subtle difference.

Where it's generally considered good form to answer the questions from the House, Cameron appears to be bringing a maverick approach and throwing the rulebook out of the window. "Ooh isn't he marvellous, the loose cannon." Is the inevitable response of Nick Robinson and pals. "I love how honest he is, admitting that he doesn't know the answer." Fawns another. But you can be sure that if, say, Gordon Brown had said that he wouldn't answer the question because he didn't know the facts, then people would have labelled him an incompetent arsehole. It smacks of laziness, as does the policy mentioned in the build-up to the election of letting us take over failing schools/hopsitals/police stations/circuses etc. (although I may have made one of those up). You're supposed to sort it out because that's you're job, we're not going to sort the country out for you.

I feel I'm getting sidetracked somewhat. My main gripe was Cameron's description of the Labour Leadership race as 'increasingly like a Star Trek convention'. I have absolutely no idea what that means. Diane Abbott as Uhura? Because that's borderline racist. Also what are the grounds for this. Who's Captain Kirk? It was on Newsnight, is Paxman Kirk? Paxman's probably Kirk... I'm going for Ed Milliband as Spock, Ed Balls as Scotty, Andy Burnham as McCoy and, well, David Milliband as... er... Sulu... The less said the better probably...

These pointless soundbites are arriving with increasing frequency and becoming more and more convoluted. I long for the day when Dennis Skinner would just come out and say he thought someone was a c*** (alright, he might never have actually said that) he's a proper politician who doesn't subscribe to the 'throw in a similie to hide your unoriginality' school.

No comments:

Post a Comment