Endorsements

"It was the most offended I've ever been by a Killer Whale story." Mrs. Trellis of North Wales

"I liked the video bit, that was quite good." J. Stephenson of Tucson, Arizona.

"Nope, never heard of it." Business Secretary, Vince Cable MP


Wednesday 11 August 2010

Fringing It... Part One...

Here's the first quick diary. Sort of brief notes and things like that.

Shows I've seen:
  • Penny Dreadfuls: Very funny and inventive sketches with some cracking running gags. Humphrey may have broken his thumb during the course of the show. Badges were given out at the end- Bonus points.
  • Two Episodes of MASH: Some terrific and highly original sketches from Diane Morgan and Joe Wilkinson, you can recognise the influence that director Stefan Golaszewski's had on proceedings too. (Daniel Kitson and Matt Crosby were both in the audience for this.)
  • David O' Doherty: Some splendid songs and standup from the Irishman. Offered bike repair tips, animal facts and a list of beefs for 2010.
  • Nick Mohammed: Nick Mohammed's Mr. Swallow is a brilliant comic creation. A both well-observed and absurdist take on classic extrovert seminar givers. As well as bringing big laughs, Mohammed also achieves some astounding feats of memory. Stickers given out at the end - Bonus points. Tim Key was sat directly in front of me during the performance. Desperately wanted to poke him or something. He escaped before I could grab him. That's something I've learnt this week, he's elusive, Key.
  • Jonny Sweet: Been a huge fan since I first saw him live. Delivers his brilliant characterisation and audio-visual delights once more. His delivery is perfect. He kissed me on the cheek on the way in - Bonus points (probably).
  • The Horne Section: Absolutely tremendous. For my money this is the show of the Fringe. It was brilliant when I saw it in London and if anything it's even better now. Whilst watching it you get the impression that this isn't just a show, it's a happening. Horne and his band bring a number of tremendous musical gags and the guests (regular Tim Key and on this night Josie Long and Mark Watson) were all supremely good. Key is one of the most exciting performers on the face of this earth, the sheer volatility of his stage persona is a joy to behold. We were treated to a quite brilliant impromptu song about the perils of a bouncy castle by Mark Watson, who also drummed while Josie Long sang Livin' On A Prayer. Different guests every night, different show every night but I would imagine every bit as good. CDs available outside - Bonus Points.
  • Nat Luurtsema: A really sweet, self-deprecating and most importantly of all very funny show, incorporating everything from 'Drill' at a Masonic school (you'll have to see it to believe it) to equipping yourself to deal with bus crashes and post-apocalyptic wastelands.
  • Alex Horne: I've already raved about The Horne Section, but Alex's solo show is also quite brilliant. As with all Horne projects it focuses on a central challenge, in this case a bet. But you'll learn everything from Quantum Mechanics to golf technique along the way and have a ruddy good time doing it. He's a master storyteller.
  • Mark Watson: Playing to a packed out Assembly Hall, Watson began with his trademark MS Word notes on the audience and then delivered his quite brilliant show 'Do I Know You?' with his customary neuroticism and self-deprecating wit. A charming and very funny hour with the multi-talented Watson. Which brings me neatly onto-
  • Mark Watson's Unusually Enjoyable Book Launch: As one might imagine, was very enjoyable. Watson, who is just about the nicest guy you could ever meet, did a series of readings at various locations around the city culminating in a signing at the Princes' Street Waterstone's with free booze. A fantastic day.
People Watching (As in 'people I've seen wandering around')
  • Crosby
  • Kitson
  • Penny Dreadfuls
  • Key
  • Sweet
  • O' Doherty
  • Morgan
  • Wilkinson
  • Golaszewski
  • Tim Vine
  • Seann Walsh
  • Sara Pascoe
  • John Bishop
  • Kevin Bridges
  • Shappi Khorsandi
  • Russell Kane
  • Stephen Frost
  • Neil Hannon
Ones I've Actually Plucked Up The Courage To Approach
  • Lloyd Woolf
  • Mark Watson (Who I've now seen on 3 separate occasions in 3 days. He doesn't seem appalled or worried by this. I like him a lot for that)
  • Alex Horne (Who I have met before, but I think probably still counts)
Ones I'm keen to hunt down (probably the wrong choice of words)...
  • Key
  • Key
  • KEY

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, Horne Section sounded amazing! Oh, how I wish I could've seen Mark drumming while Josie sang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to 'ones I'm keen to hunt down'. That is basically my list for when I return, with an added 'Sweet/Mohammed/Horne/Key/Watson/Key' on the end. Also, how the hell did I miss out on a Penny Dreadfuls badge?! Was I being completely blind, or something?! Gutted!

    (You definitely get bonus points for being kissed on the cheek by Jonny.)

    ReplyDelete