Endorsements

"It was the most offended I've ever been by a Killer Whale story." Mrs. Trellis of North Wales

"I liked the video bit, that was quite good." J. Stephenson of Tucson, Arizona.

"Nope, never heard of it." Business Secretary, Vince Cable MP


Wednesday 27 January 2010

Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics... and Why I'm Not Here Next Week...

This is just a quickie (sometimes I have to do real life things too) to have a brief rant and explain why you might have to wait a while for another Friday Pictorial.

Many of you will know that James Cameron's Pocahon... Avatar has become the highest grossing film in movie history, not because more people have seen it than any other film, but rather because most cinemas see fit to charge extra for 3D films, meaning that you pay extra for a pair of tacky glasses and a 3 hour headache. Also meaning that it was a shoe-in to smash the box-offices records. Clever. Does this really count? Really? On the other hand I did read a cracking review of it on the Guardian website.

In today's other statistics news, Clint Eastwood was named America's favourite filmstar and why not, he's terrific. I've spent many a happy hour watching the Dollars trilogy and am looking forward to Invictus (featuring Bath Rugby's former back-rower Zak Feuanati as Jonah Lomu). The favourite sons of the western remained in power, with John Wayne achieving an impressive 7th place, despite being dead for more than 30 years and not having released a film since 1976's The Shootist.

Right, now on to my absence next week. I'm going to ride down mountains on two planks of carbon-fibre, while hopefully avoiding serious injury. This means one of two things- firstly, I'd better hope that I can remember how to ski fairly sharpish and secondly, that there probably won't be any blogs this Friday or next week. There should be another quick one tomorrow, though, if that provides any comfort at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment