Endorsements

"It was the most offended I've ever been by a Killer Whale story." Mrs. Trellis of North Wales

"I liked the video bit, that was quite good." J. Stephenson of Tucson, Arizona.

"Nope, never heard of it." Business Secretary, Vince Cable MP


Tuesday 15 December 2009

The Rigours of Digital Switchover

As mentioned in a previous post, for the last couple of months I have been without my precious terrestrial signal, leaving the Samsung LCD TV in my room little more than a monitor for watching DVDs or virtually winning the league with a team of footballing mercenaries from all corners of the globe. This means that for these last two months, iPlayer has been my God.

I really can't extoll its virtues enough, it is truly a marvellous invention, up there with the combustion engine and the flugelhorn, however it does mean that I do find myself filling my spare hours searching for worthy programming. There are certain limitations, no repeat viewing of MOTD, no Question of Sport full stop (though some would argue that's not a bad thing - I'm not among them) and limited movies (again, not always a bad thing). This provides an even greater challenge of finding programming to accompany my laziness.

I found myself watching BBCThree's Young *insert blue collar profession here* of the Year, hosted by non-thinking person's Vernon Kay, George Lamb. I confess I did not view it for long, but I did realise that it is truly watercooler telly, raising a number of important questions, namely - 'Who he?' 'Why he on telly?' and most importantly 'Oh Christ, where I put the remote?'

I find myself reaching for the excellent and far more cerebral Wallander on BBC Four (several brand new episodes being broadcast before Christmas) a healthy hour and a half of Swedish sleuthing by haggard, stubbly detective, Kurt Wallander (played magnificently by Krister Henriksson) or the equally excellent Sorcerer's Apprentice on CBBC, presented by the coniferous Ortis Deley (who was presenting kid's shows back in my day and remains jovial and proffessional as ever). It's a kid's reality show, but before you reach for Dignitas on the speed-dial, it's actually thoroughly enjoyable and a good deal more charming than its adult counterparts (though a turd in a hat is a good deal more charming than most of the tat regurgitated every year by the reality companies).

The trick is finding the hidden gems (here's looking at you BBC Four) like the brilliant We Need Answers, hosted by comedians Mark Watson, Tim Key and Alex Horne, where two celebrity contestants battle it out over general knowledge, trivia and physical prowess in a number of innovative and most importantly fun rounds. It is a joy to watch and one wonders why it is so hard for more programming to be like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment